Love and Light and Mosquito Kisses

Let me begin this story with a warning to those of you whom are in love with logic and knowledge: The contents of this post may perplex you, vex you and leave you with the perception the author is out of touch with "reality". 

On the weekend of August 10th a friend and myself went camping in the Apostle Islands in Lake Superior. If you live in the Midwest and have never visited Lake Superior you really should, just do it in the summer as the winters are brutal, obviously. This body of water is spectacular visually and energetically. During the days we camped on Stockton Island I experienced extreme lethargy, and a certain separation anxiety from the conveniences of modern day life; somehow I knew I needed a break from all the distractions and habits of my everyday life, I didn't even bring anything to read. Its been a wet summer here in the Midwest and the bugs are thriving. Every hike on the island always concluded with me scratching like a rabid animal and praying to the heavens for an end to the mosquito kisses. Somehow,  I suspected there would be no end to this suffering as the mosquito is just doing what it is designed to do. Even with all the scratching I noticed a very profound shift in my awareness. I looked around at my environment and felt completely present for the first time in months. My mind always in search for distraction was left with nothing to do and seemed to fall into a state of contentment with what was available, the purposeful animation and movement which all creation expresses without self consciousness. While surrendered into this deep state of immersion I suddenly realized the mosquitoes had been biting me in what seemed to be very strategic places, my hands, ankles, and directly on the spine at the back of my neck. This realization felt significant and yet my mind wanted to apply all sorts of logic to explain it all away, mind says "it's because those are the areas which you most often left uncovered". The logical mind was satisfied with this explanation, and it seemed to be driven to put the mystery asleep. My intuition had a very different perspective which was simple and appealed to my mystic side, "it felt significant, so it is; just let the mystery be solved thru revelation".

Like many sensitive folks, I have experienced occurrences which defy logic for most of my life; and like most sensitive folks I have felt limited in my freedom to express what it is I experience. The result of sensitivity often leads to repressed emotions, and the feeling of being cut off from others. Physically my emotional struggles manifested as tension in the shoulders/arms/wrists/hands, spaciness from being ungrounded, and a sense of my energy being divided. The hands and the feet are the physical expression of outward action oriented energy. For the better part of the last 15 years, since I have been meditating, I have worked tirelessly on understanding what it is to be Human. Having gained much wisdom, I was constantly badgered by my cultural conditioning and upbringing that this wisdom must somehow be practical. The result of all the badgering led me to teaching Kundalini Yoga for the past 8 years and there has been some relief to my tension issues. Even after connecting with new circles of like minded individuals I still felt incomplete in my ability to bring forth my understanding and express it clearly to a world which I perceived as dismissive. Recently I have stopped caring what others may think about what I have to say, along with a sharpened sense that I intuitively am able to measure the resistance of the other. As I began to wake from my self defeating illusions I noticed the fascia (the sheath around the muscle) began to release clearly pointing to the fact that the more tuned too flow we are the less resistance there is and less physical tension we carry. I began the practice of relaxing my energy into my heart and physical relaxing my shoulders. I also had to confront all sorts of false/protective beliefs, fears, and anxieties about my relationship to the rest of humanity. Kundalini energy began to flow, highlight my limiting beliefs and the fear of witnessing my own pain and short comings in a neutral and forgiving way.

Kundalini energy is often stated as being coiled up at the base of the spine around the tail bone. This energy is dormant until it is woken thru the process of reintegration of the physical body, enhanced sensitivity and increased awareness about all that we are. This energy is associated with the back side of the body (which is accessed when we turn inward in meditation), and directly related to the hidden parts of ourselves which because of fear we refuse to see. It is associated with the downward grounding movement of awareness and the gradual upward movement of this primal energy (the rebound effect). As the Kundalini energy burns through our illusions we are granted a new sense of connection and the understanding of the truth that All Is One. Flow moves through us and our inner experience is enlightened (nervous system illumination). 

On Stockton Island the mosquitoes were biting me in the same areas I was experiencing a reconnection with my higher calling (upward and outward moving energy). Because I accepted this as being significant and my refusal to limit flow at the point of belief/explanation thru logic; I began a process of understanding the humble mosquitoes message. The kiss of the mosquito no doubt leads to discomfort/suffering; however when perceived through the lens that all creation is hear to fulfill a purpose and that all physical matter when reduced to its most finite is light which we experience as universal love, I realized life on the Earth plane is a matter of learning and growing through the challenges we attract to us. The mosquito taught me that its often through pain/suffering/fear that we experience joy and love. I surrendered to this message and all of a sudden my whole internal being was filled with a sense of well being and light, and the welts caused by the mosquito lessened in intensity and healed much more quickly. Most of all I was free of my neurotic mad man scratching. The revelation led me to a graceful way in which I could perceive those pesky little guys, the bites continued but I was filled with the joy of having a sense of what it is my purpose is and the understanding that life's challenges are dualistic in nature and necessarily contain a silver lining. Through my eyes all I see are Roses!

Be Well

Through the utization of various techniques Akal helps others tune to flow and their higher calling: somaarts1.com, somaarts1@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment